Thursday, April 2, 2009

Paciencia y Fe

*bangs head against wall*

Please, tell me why I do stupid things? Especially when it comes to boys? Please? Anyone? Anyone? Ok, I'm hearing crickets, so I guess there's no answer. 

Except, boys suck. I really should just be a lesbian, it'd be easier. But, alas, I am straight. 

Today, though, I will not be talking about boys. I will be talking about one of my great loves: Broadway. 

In The Heights, specifically. 

When I first heard about this show in 2007, I said, "It's stupid. It's the Latin RENT."

Then it won the 2008 Tony for Best Musical. Still, I didn't really pay attention. I got the CD, but couldn't really listen to it. 

It started about two days after the SA finale. My sisters were making plans to see it, and I knew Lin was amazing and I know I LOVE Robin, but I wasn't ready to spend money on it....yet. They came home a couple weeks later in love and singing with spanish accents. Here is where I learned some of the best lines of the 2008 season. 

So I listened, and actually listened, to In The Heights. Now, it's all I'm listening too. I'm rapping, I'm belting notes with a slight accent, I'm falling in love. 

I will be seeing In The Heights on May 15th. 

I'm excited as CONO! 

There's one problem I have with it though. All the characters [and probably most of the actors] have more pride for the country they immigrated from or their parents immigrated from. They worry about being Puerto Rican and Dominican and Chili-ian. lol. This bothers me so much. 

YOU'RE IN AMERICA NOW! BE AMERICAN! 

I bitch constantly about these types of people IRL. If you're so damn proud of that country, go back to it. 

I love In The Heights, I really do. I hate these types of people. Even people who have a ton of pride for Germany or Ireland or Russia. I'm an American. I'm proud of that. I'm also proud of the fact that I'm part German-Irish-British-Dutch. I don't let that pride take over my pride for America. 

We just elected a bi-racial president. How freaking awesome is that [even if I am starting to have problems with him]?

There's this one line at the beginning of the show, "I immigrated from the greatest little place in the Carribean; Dominican; Republic; I love it; Jesus, I'm jealous of it."

Then why did your parents bring you here, Usnavi? They wanted you to have a better life here in American, not in the Dominican. I'm not saying he can't be proud of where he came from, I'm saying he needs to have some pride in America too. 

--------

Wows, that was long. I sure can rant. Blogging for 30 days? Not going to be hard at all. 

If my wonderful readers have anything they want me to talk about tomorrow, leave it in the comments. I want you to read my thought, so why not talk about something you want to hear about? 

I almost forgot: Why is today awesome: Today is awesome because I worked 6 hours. Also, because even though last night with Potter wasn't as successful as it could be, i have paciencia y fe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment