This post was requested by the brilliant Kate. Cause she hates being called Kat. although, that's what I called her while we were in high school.
I work because 1. that's the responsible thing to do. 2. i pay for my car, my phone, my social life, half of my clothes, and a shitload of food. 3. i want a career and the only way to do that is to start now.
For most of high school, I had one job. Then I had two jobs, multiple clubs, many friends and a fast approaching college career. After that I had two jobs and college and a LOT of bills. This past year, I was in England and had no job. I hated not having an income, but it felt good to not have something to worry about besides school. and i was always available to do whatever i wanted.
Now I'm home with the desire to go back, the need of a new car, a fast approaching graduation, and a fast approaching career.
I also have no friends. This makes it a LOT easier to work.
and when I say I have no friends, I know this isn't true. I have friends. but the ones I can see on a regular basis, I can count on not two hands, but one. It never been like this before. It scares me a little bit and I am lonely a lot of the time. Thankfully, work distracts the lonely feeling. Also, since i have no friends, I can work more.
In preparation for my career, I got a part time summer internship, which I am in LOVE with, and I have a fall internship lined up, but since I still need to pay for my bills, I have a part time job as well. As a salesman [which I am not]. Who sells shoes. Now, this would be fine if I worked in Journey's because I am a Converse whore. but I don't. I work at Sketchers. I have never owned a pair of Sketchers, but I lied about that. I never liked Sketchers. I also lied about that.
Now that I work there 25 hours a week, at least, I still do not like Sketchers. Not a good thing if you're trying to sell them. My first free pair gave me terrible, horrible, painful blisters that i am STILL recovering from. and I then needed to buy a new pair so I didn't double over in pain with every step.
I did buy Shape-Ups, though. and I love these. Though, I have not worn them in THREE DAYS and I still feel the pain in my muscles that they worked.
My Summer Internship is more than I could have asked for. I'm not ignored. I have a voice. My boss is BRILLIANT and loves me. Her boss is BRILLIANT and loves me. I'd LOVE to work here. Really. I fit so well. But this is just one company and it will always have a special place in my heart and I hope to work for Bloomsbury one day. Yes, I work at Bloomsbury USA. Who's parent company, Bloomsbury UK pubbed HARRY POTTER. Dream job? I think so.
I'm currently in the marketing/sales department and while I'm not great at it, or entirely in love with marketing, I can still do it. I still believe my talents lie elsewhere, though. Like in editing. or writing. or publicity.
My Fall Internship is more brilliant than my summer one. I found this company while looking for a summer internship and just fell in love. I think it's a brilliant idea, the CEO is SUPER nice [i met him], and that they're going to be a big thing in the writing/publishing world in a few years. Being there for the launch and the very beginning is too exciting for words. The company is called Figment and its website is Figment.com. It's basically facebook for writers as i like to say, and if you blog, you need to check it out. If you write, you need to check it out. If you're an avid YA reader, you need to check it out. It launches September 15th and I cannot wait to announce it to the world that I will be working there and that everyone needs to sign up for a profile.
Now, since I've wasted half my lunch hour writing this, I am ending it.
Today is awesome because....I'm wearing Cons at work again and no one seems to care.
Today is notsome because its so effing hot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment